When you sign your contract with us at Uppsala University Housing Office – you sign a legally binding document. Uppsala University Housing Office is your landlord.
We strongly advice you to read your contract carefully. If you have any questions regarding the contract, don’t hesitate to send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duration of Contract
Your rented room is yours for a limited time only. Make sure you are well informed of the dates and details in your contract. From the first until the last day of your contract, the room is your responsibility and you are bound by the terms of condition of your contract. You are liable to pay rent for the whole period stated in your contract regardless of your actual arrival or departure date.
Cancellation before the start of the contract
As soon as a housing offer has been accepted the apartment is booked for the tenant. If a tenant wishes to cancel a booked apartment this has to be made at least 1 month before the contract starts otherwise 1 monthly rent is charged. Please note also that when the contracted has started the full notice period of the contract, described under “Notice of cancellation”, is needed to end the contact.
Make sure to keep UUHO informed of any problems or delays regarding Visa or immigration that may affect your ability to come to Uppsala as scheduled.
Notice of Cancellation
If you wish to terminate your contract earlier than the original end date, you can only do so by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or by visiting our reception at Kungsgatan 27. NOTE: the University or the house owners cannot authorize any changes in your housing contract, only UUHO can do that and the tenant must communicate directly with UUHO.
There is a notice period stipulated in the terms of condition in your signed contract. Make sure you are well informed of the length of your notice period.
Tenants in student accommodations
…must give three (3) calendar months notice to terminate the contract earlier than the original end date (calendar month = from the first to the last day of a month).
Tenants in guest researcher apartments
…must give two (2) calendar months notice.
For example: A tenant in our student accommodation (three calendar months notice) who wishes to cancel the contract by april 30th must inform us on January 31st at the very latest. If a request to terminate have not reached UUHO by January 31st, the tenant will be liable to pay rent until, at least, May 31st.
If you contact us in the middle of a month, the three months’ notice period is counted for the following three calendar months. A calendar month is from the first to the last day of the month, hence your contract will always end on the last day of the month.
Note that if you choose to terminate your agreement you do not have the right to extend it again to the original date if you change your mind.
Tenants in student accommodation
If you are a formal exchange student and your exchange has been officially extended for another semester, we will receive this information from your coordinator at Uppsala University and your leasing agreement will be extended. You cannot apply again for a new room, only extend the current contract.
If you do not belong to the category above and wish to extend your leasing agreement, send the request by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying which date you want to extend to. This extension is only possible if your room is vacant during the requested period and is not guaranteed. It is usually possible to extend a leasing agreement over the summer, until july 31st at the latest, for agreements signed for the spring semester.
We have a twelve months’ rent which means that if you extend your stay over the summer months, you will pay the same monthly rent as during the semesters.
Tenants in guest researcher apartments
Request for an extension of the contract needs to be made three full calendar months before the end of the current contract without notification from the landlord. Please note that sometimes an apartment is only rented out for a short period of time due to limited availability and in this case an extension is not possible.
The maximum length of stay for guest researchers is two years, counting the total occupation time.
You are expected to take good care of both your room and any equipment or furnishings that come with your room and any common areas. There are some general rules and regulations while staying in our accommodations:
- Smoking is strictly forbidden in all accommodation areas, inside the private rooms/apartments as well as in all common areas and stairwells. Smoking through the window or under the kitchen fan is strictly forbidden.
- The tenant does not have the right to a reduction in rent for time during which his/her landlord has work done to the room or common areas, or in connection with the extermination of pests.
- The tenant may not utilize the room for other purposes than dwelling.
- The tenant may not keep pets in the room.
- It is strictly forbidden to sublet the room to another tenant.
- The tenant undertakes to take good care of the room and its furnishings.
- It is the tenants responsibility to Clean the Drains regularly and to immediately stop using the shower or sink if the drain is blocked.
- The tenant pledges to take good care of the lodgings and the common areas and to observe tidiness and respect for neighbors’ need for comfort and a quiet place to study.
- Loud music and noise after 10 PM is not accepted.
- You must book a time in the laundry room before you can use it. Make sure to leave on time and bring your belongings. Clean the floor, the machinery and clean the filters.
- Follow the rules for the disposal of garbage for your area and leave your garbage in the respective containers.
- A lost room key must immediately be reported to the Housing Office. The cost for changing the lock and new keys will be charged to the tenant. All copying of keys to the rooms is strictly forbidden.
- All problems concerning plumbing, heating, electricity, or other installations in the house should be reported directly by the tenant to the house owner’s service staff.
- The tenant is liable to cover the costs for repairs of damages in the room caused by accident, neglect or on purpose. It is not allowed to put up posters or other things that may damage walls or other surfaces.
- The tenant is responsible for thoroughly cleaning the room (and his/her part of common areas) before leaving the room.
- The tenant is responsible for the furniture and must make sure that all items are in the room when checking out.
- The keys to your room must be returned to the correct place on the termination day of your contract.